LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Friday, October 14, 2011

5k? HELP.

Okay, so my sister-in-law just sent me text telling me that Matt and I should do a Thanksgiving Day 5k with them. Just hearing this has sent me into the sweats and I am suddenly feeling very anxious. I am terrified, and I have not even decided if I want to do it yet. What if I finish last? What if I cannot even finish? What if I fall over and roll up in a ball and cry? What if I am "the fat girl?"

I don't run. I CANT run. Seriously. I know I am not supposed to say cant, but I physically can not do it. I am doing something wrong. How do people breathe and run at the same time? How do you not get a side cramp? What about those weird foot cramps? I am really scared. I need help.

I have heard of this couch to 5K program, but the last time I tried to download it, it wouldn't fit on my ipod so I gave up. That is how eager I am to run.

So, my question is, I have got right about 6 weeks to learn how to run three miles straight. Is there any hope for me? Any suggestions or tips? I am on the edge right now, someone please talk me down.

2 comments:

  1. Shan, I honestly think you can run the 3 miles straight. The couch to 5k program is great and eases you into it. You CAN be a runner. Anyone can. I firmly believe that. Not everyone is going to be Usain Bolt, but physically, you can finish a 5k. Go out there, and do it! If you can run one minute at a time, that's a start! Try running from telephone pole to telephone pole, with a walking break in between each pole. Then eventually do 2 telephone poles, get creative! You could use mailboxes too, sometimes I give myself til X colored mailbox until I can look at my watch (It's SO hard not to look on a long run).

    What shoes to you run in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just started couch25k on Tuesday. I am not a runner. I hate running. LOATHE it.

    That said, I'm kind of enjoying it. Having that little dude in my ear telling me I can do it and knowing I have x many intervals of x many seconds of running left until I'm done is really motivating. I was really sore after Tuesday, but day 2 was yesterday and I'm already noticing improvement. It's kind of awesome.

    But, here's the thing: I don't think I will ever run a 5k. I don't like the idea that I need to have a finishing number, or I need to keep pace with hundreds of other people or whatever. I run slow. But, I'm doing it. I don't think I need to add a competitive element to it to make it worth while. And I think that's okay.

    So, if it's the thought of running that is freaking you out: you can totally do it. And I recommend c25k.
    If it's the thought of running with 400 people that is giving you heart palpitations: by all means, skip it.

    ReplyDelete